June 10, 2011

Concert #499 - Marcia Ball at the Luckman Arts Center (March 7, 2009)


The Luckman is a great place to see a show. I always buy my tickets as soon as they go on sale, and unlike elsewhere, at the Luckman you get the best seats when you buy early. For this concert, my better half and I had front row seats, not bad.

There were two opening acts. First, the Alex Dixon Band and Lurrie Bell came out. Their set was OK, but nothing special. They were followed by Smokin' Joe Kubek and Bnois King, who were a whole lot better, but sadly, played no more than twenty five minutes - I could have used much more of Kubek's guitar licks - why did they even bother to show up for such a short set? 

Marcia's main event was typical Marcia: great vocals, a good mix of uptempo songs and ballads, virtuoso piano playing and good overall fun. There were many songs I didn't know, but it did not matter - the atmosphere was party-like, with one infectious song after another. Other than "Peace, Love and BBQ", I can't remember any specific songs, but we all went home happy, that I recall.

Smokin' Joe Kubek (right) and Bnois King
The Luckman Fine Arts Complex

No comments:

Post a Comment