March 5, 2017

Concert #793 - Griffin House at McCabe's Guitar Shop (February 10, 2017)



This was my first time to see Griffin House in concert. The event took place on a Friday night, at the end of a long and tiring week. Indeed, at that point in time, what I needed was a massive adrenaline shot, something I often get while listening to live music. Well, there wasn't much adrenaline emanating from the stage, as Griffin delivered his entire set by standing still right in front of his microphone stand, a place he never left for the entire duration of his show.

Okay, so Griffin may not be the world's most dynamic performer, but in all other respects, his show was totally fulfilling. His compositions, even the ones I had not heard before, were instantly accessible. Starting with "Games", the show opener, and ending with "Liberty Line", his one-song encore, he delighted us with quality songs that came in quick succession, one after the other. The ones I liked the best were "I Remember (It's Happening Again)", "A Painting By Hieronymus Bosch" and "The Way I Was Made".

Griffin House at McCabe's

I'm relatively new to Griffin House's music, but based on his performance at McCabe's, I'm placing him alongside Slaid Cleaves, John Gorka, Richard Shindell and Ellis Paul, right up there among America's finest singer-songwriters.

Griffin House at McCabe's
Griffin House chatting with his fans at McCabe's
The stage
The merch table

No comments:

Post a Comment