November 7, 2018

Concert #842 - Ain't Too Proud (The Life and Times of the Temptations) at the Ahmanson Theatre (September 5, 2018)




I seldom attend musicals, but how could I have resisted the temptation of seeing a show that is based on the career of the Temptations, one of my all-time favorite vocal groups? So I shelled out the big bucks and got myself a front row seat at the Ahmanson Theatre, in spite of having some reservations about sitting that close to the stage.

I loved the show and how could I have not, with all that great singing, dynamic dancing and captivating storyline? Yes, the success of the show had a lot to do with our feelings of nostalgia, but it was a lot more than that - the young artists who played the various revolving members of the band were all outstanding and equally good were those who played the secondary roles of Berry Gordy, Smokey Robinson, Tammi Terrell, Norman Whitfield and the Supremes.

And what about my front row seat? Was it too close? Not at all.

Main Cast
Derrick Baskin as Otis Williams
James Harkness as Paul Williams
Jawan M. Jackson as Melvin Franklin
Jeremy Pope as Eddie Kendricks
Ephraim Sykes as David Ruffin
Saint Aubyn as Dennis Edwards

The main cast
The stage, the way it looked when we first walked in
"The Supremes"
The curtain call, as seen from my front row seat
The final bow
The orchestra, as it emerged at the end of the show
The Ahmanson Theatre
The Ahmanson Theatre
Merchandise
Huge sign in front of the theatre
Vocal group singing Sam Cooke songs in front of the theatre

No comments:

Post a Comment