January 26, 2011

Concert #58 - The Smithereens at the Universal Amphitheater (February 16, 1990)


With songs like "Only A Memory", "A Girl Like You", "Behind The Wall Of Sleep" and Blood And Roses", the Smithereens caught the ears of many music fans, myself included. Together with my friend Ron C, I went to see the Smithereens at the Universal Amphitheater, on a cold and rainy night.

The show was nothing special, I was soon to find out. Simply put, their studio recordings sound better than their live act. Pat DiNizio was a great songwriter and I liked his voice, but live on stage they were rather bland. But I got to hear all of the above-mentioned songs.

Here's a great song written by Pat DiNizio, recorded in 1989:


Graham Parker opened the show. At the time, I wasn't familiar with his music and I can't say that I walked away thoroughly impressed. Today, I'm just a tad more knowledgeable when it comes to his music.

No comments:

Post a Comment