March 13, 2011

Concerts #539 and 540 - Tommy Emmanuel at the Smothers Theater (Pepperdine University) (February 9 & 10, 2010)


Tommy Emmanuel, two days in a row - not bad. Not bad even if you have to drive over 300 miles in order to catch both shows, like I had to do. But it was worth it for me and also for my two guests, one on each night. For the first night I went with my brother, who happened to be in the area on business. He had not seen Tommy before. The following evening I went with my friend Lincoln, a repeat Tommy customer.


My brother at the Smothers Theater
As always, Tommy spoke with respect and recognition about his favorite finger-pickers: Chet Atkins, Merle Travis, Django Reinhardt and Jerry Reed. 

Tommy was phenomenal - enough said - I won't even try to describe in words what he does with his guitar or how good he is. I'll let YouTube do the "talking". Here's "Guitar Boogie":


The two shows were similar, but not quite identical. Here's a partial list of the songs that Tommy played at Pepperdine's Smothers Theater on February 9 and 10, 2010:

 Guitar Boogie
Angelina
The Digger's Waltz
Beatles Medley (Here Comes The Sun, Lady Madonna, Ticket To Ride)
Guitar Rag
Saturday Night Shuffle
Nine Pound Hammer
Mombasa
Initiation
Classical Gas
Moon River
Halfway Home
Over The Rainbow
Still Can't Say Goodbye
Amazing Grace
Nuages
Mona Lisa

And here's Tommy's Merle Travis tribute:


The Smothers Theater (Pepperdine University)

No comments:

Post a Comment