January 10, 2011

Concert #15 - The Cure at the Forum (July 27, 1986)

My seat was just below the nose-bleed area of the Forum, the lights were still on, when all of a sudden I heard loud screams coming from the floor. I saw people trying to disperse in all directions, while a bare-chested guy remained all by himself right in the middle of the floor. But let the Los Angeles Times continue the story:
Los Angeles, California: July 29, 1986, page 2:

A man stabbed himself repeatedly in the chest and stomach with a hunting knife in what police said appeared to be an attempt to impress a girl at a Forum rock concert. Inglewood police and security guards wrested the weapon from the hand of Jonathan Moreland, 38, and administered first aid until he could be turned over to paramedics, who took him to UCLA Medical Center for treatment. He was later reported in satisfactory condition. Bare chested and wearing a cowboy hat and jeans amid the mostly teen-age crowd that had come to hear The Cure, a British band, Moreland told police he wanted to impress a girl named Andrea. A suicide note was found in his truck, parked outside the arena. 

The concert started with a delay, of course, but the evening had been already ruined.





8 comments:

  1. I was there. it definitely was ruined. I left after a song or two

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was my dad: Jonathan Moreland. Heartfelt apologies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For real? Was he ok after? I mean, not just at the hospital "he survived," but like, in life. I'm guessing he was mostly ok if he went on to have kids. Anyway, this incident came up in a FB group I'm in and the amount of concern for his long term wellbeing is kind of nice. We all hope he was ok and is still alive and well.

      Delete
  3. Was there for it. I stayed for the whole concert.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was 15 and I will never forget it! I was only a couple of rows back. They literally mopped up all the blood and continued with the concert:(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was there. Robert dedicated A Strange day to the incident (or the man)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was there, I remember panic, people running away from this bare chested/long haired guy on the court floor who was screaming something and apparently stabbing himself, it was very strange. I didn’t get the impression that he hurt himself too bad, security stopped him almost immediately, many people left after what happened, I stayed and the concert was great. I later read on the LA Times that he was well and did that for a girl…

    ReplyDelete
  7. My God….I thought it was a mental enough moment when the helicopter lifted someone at Glasto ‘90.

    ReplyDelete