January 14, 2011

Concert #28 - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers at the Universal Amphitheater (June 9, 1987)


Other than his radio hits, I had not been exceedingly familiar with Tom Petty's music, nor had I thought too highly of him. All this changed forever on June 9, when I got to fully appreciate the quality of his music, and most of all, the tightness of his band, the Heartbreakers.

It was the first of four consecutive nights at the Universal Amphitheater. I sat at the mezzanine, not too good, but not bad either. The opening acts were OK. The Georgia Satellites played their only major hit, "Keep Your Hands To Yourself", while the Del Fuegos were forgettable.

"The Waiting" was the highlight of the show. I also liked "Let Me Up, I've Had Enough". At one point, Tom talked about the loss of his Encino house to fire, a crime committed by an arsonist. "But he didn't burn this down" said Tom, raising his guitar high in the air.

No comments:

Post a Comment