January 30, 2011

Concert #570 - Dala - Levitt On The Lawn Concerts (Scripps College) (October 1, 2010)


I first heard about Canada's Dala from my friend Steve, who saw them at a folk festival in Colorado. Steve's credible recommendation was enough to make me want to check out their itinerary, and that's how I learned about their appearance in my home town. I went to the concert with my homework not done - I couldn't name a single Dala song and my familiarity with their music was limited to a couple of YouTube videos.

The concert was free, so naturally, quite a few people attended. Most of the spectators were local college students.

The name Dala comes from the ending of their first names: Amanda and Sheila. They have nice voices, know how to harmonize, play multiple instruments, yet the whole show became pretty boring after a while. The word "uni-dimensional" seems to be a good description of their act.

Many of the songs were self-penned. Their Canadian roots showed in their choice of covers: they played a few Neil Young and Joni Mitchell songs, I just can't remember which ones.

Overall, it wasn't as good as I thought it would be, but it was still OK. The setting was beautiful, plus I got to spend some time with my friend Steve, who drove all the way from the west side of LA just to catch Dala in concert.


No comments:

Post a Comment