February 20, 2011

Concert #566 - Matthew Sweet at McCabe's Guitar Shop (August 28, 2010)


I went to the show with expectations that were left mostly unfulfilled. Matthew had impressed me quite a bit a few years earlier, when I first saw him at UCLA, but this time he was rather disappointing. He lacked the power and the energy one would expect from a rocker, possibly the result of the extra pounds he had added since the UCLA show. It's true, I was unfamiliar with his new material (my fault) but none of his new songs caught my ear (his fault, possibly).

I'd been hoping to see Susanna Hoffs as Matthew's guest, after all they had recorded and performed together more than once, but it wasn't to be. Instead, Matthew brought out Vicki Peterson, Susanna's fellow Bangle, but her performance was totally low-key.

Matthew Sweet & Vicki Peterson

Set list
Divine Intervention
Byrdgirl
Time Capsule
We're the Same
Feel Fear
Ugly Truth
You Don't Love Me
Time Machine
Girlfriend
If Time Permits
Someone to Pull the Trigger
Sick of Myself
I've Been Waiting (with John Wicks & Vicki Peterson)

Encore (with Vicki Peterson)
Cinnamon Girl
Hello, It's Me
(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love & Understanding

British artist John Wicks opened the show. His set was decent, but not truly memorable. "Starry Eyes", his hit from his days with the Records, happened to also be the best song of his set.

No comments:

Post a Comment